I created DrawDown to fulfil a personal need. Although there are great tools for packaging an image up as an icon, or creating multiple screen-shots at different sizes... they all required that final images were available. I didn't want to have to have an iOS like icon on the Mac, or vice-versa. I wanted to create some basic assets and assemble them in a way that suits the platform. I wanted to build monsters out of body parts, and ensure that the images created could feed straight into the tools I use everyday to build apps, and web-sites. You can read my posts on its use here.
DrawDown has been inspired by John Gruber's Markdown and has very similar goals. Enable a human readable plain text format to create rich output. Of course images are not like text, so the format respects the domain. Think of it like plain-text Photoshop.
I wanted to be able to fully integrate the creation and updating of the images into my processes, and also to spread this to the widest possible audience. I also wanted to be able to see the images I created as I worked. Because of these goals DrawDown is available in two forms
- Free Command Line Tool Useful for scripts and if you don't want/need the visual editor
- Interactive Editor for the Mac Because I need to eat and editing images is a visual task, the DrawDown Mac App is available to buy. It let's you see what you are building as you build it, when you're done generate the images directly from there, or refer to the file in your scripts. Simple.
DrawDown requires MacOS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or later. Its key features are:
- Configure using UI, automatically updates the file so you get the same results from the command line
- Syntax Highlighting editor
- Live preview
- Integrated syntax & reference guide
- Full compatibility for created scripts with command line version
- 1.1.1 Fixed an issue where icns files were loaded @1x resolution
- 1.1.0 Frames can now include sub-directories which will be created in the output path, resources with absolute paths are now correctly loaded, Sparkle updater added.
- 1.0.0 Initial release